View your shopping bag

Items: (0) £0.00
  • €
  • $
  • £

Checkout

Category Archives: OECD

Renewable energy can stimulate rural economies

In the past ten years there has been more than $1 trillion of investment in renewable energy, and according to a report by the OECD (Linking Renewable Energy to Rural Development) this is now an important source of growth and jobs for many rural regions. The report used case studies from 16 regions in Europe, Canada and the US, but … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

The slowdown in global demand has reduced growth in OECD countries

Real GDP growth in the OECD area slowed to 0.2% in the second quarter of 2012, compared with 0.4% in the first quarter, according to figures released this morning by the OECD. In terms of the contributors to growth, the figures show that private consumption contributed 0.1 percentage point to GDP growth, compared with 0.3 percentage point in the previous … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

The rate of employment in OECD countries is still well below pre-crisis levels

The OECD area employment rate – defined as the proportion of people of working age (those aged 15 to 64) who have a job – was 64.9% in the fourth quarter of 2011, according to new quarterly labour market statistics from the OECD released this morning. This is 1.6 percentage points lower than the 66.5% recorded in the second quarter … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

Divergence in growth between US and Europe

Economic growth in the G7 countries is expected to be firmer through the first half of 2012, but the recovery remains fragile and will likely proceed at different speeds in North American and Europe, according to the OECD in its latest Interim Economic Assessment. The Assessment, presented in Paris by Chief Economist Pier Carlo Padoan, says the G7 economies are … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

Positive growth signals seen in OECD countries

Composite Leading Indicators (CLIs), designed to anticipate turning points in economic activity relative to trend, continue pointing to a positive change in momentum in the OECD as a whole. The United States and Japan continue to drive the overall position but stronger, albeit tentative, signals are beginning to emerge within all other major OECD economies and the Euro area as … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

OECD GDP growth slows sharply to 0.1% in the fourth quarter of 2011

Quarterly gross domestic product (GDP) growth in the OECD area decelerated sharply to 0.1% in the fourth quarter of 2011, against 0.6% in the third quarter, according to provisional estimates released this morning by the OECD. The OECD total masks diverging patterns however. In the United States, GDP growth accelerated to 0.7% in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared with … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

Latest figures released this lunchtime show that consumer prices in the OECD area rose by 2.9% in the year to December 2011, compared with 3.1% in the year to November 2011. This easing in the annual rate of inflation mainly reflected the slower growth in energy prices, which increased by 8.1% in the year to December, down from 11.6% in … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

One in six families sold their second car in 2011

This is according to Bridgestone, the tyre maker, who surveyed 2,000 UK families. This was principally due to the continued rise in fuel prices, but was also influenced by insurance costs and the general rise in the cost of living. The survey also found that many more families may be forced to take similar action this year, with over 90% … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

Most major economies still in slowdown mode

The OECD has just published its latest growth forecasts, and the outlook is not great. Composite leading indicators (CLIs), designed to anticipate turning points in economic activity relative to trend, continue pointing to a slowdown in activity in most OECD countries and major non-member economies. The assessment is little changed compared to last month for most countries. The CLI for … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment

UK to experience double-dip recession

In its latest Economic Outlook, the OECD forecasts that both the UK and the eurozone could see a double-dip recession over the next few months. The organisation has slashed its forecast for UK growth in 2012 to only 0.5%. It also believes that growth in the current quarter could be negative at -0.03% and in the first quarter of 2012 … Continue reading

Posted by Nigel Tree | Leave a comment